companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Homestyle Fried Chicken and Green Beans


I grew up in a country style family. I remember eating fried chicken and garden grown green beans at my great grandma's house. Tonight, I made a dinner that reminds me of those times.

I love homegrown green beans the way my grandparents used to make them---not so politically correct in these days of the tender crisp veggies. My great grandma cooked those babies for hours, and wasn't too shy to use real bacon grease. Nothing can duplicate that flavor except some time on the stove and the leftovers from this morning's bacon. I use frozen green beans, add a tablespoon of bacon drippings and a bit of salt. Then I cook them the whole time I am making a triple batch of fried chicken...or about an hour.

For the chicken, tonight I was aiming for flavor. I sprinkled the chicken breasts with rotisserie seasoning and let them rest for about 30 minutes. When I was beating the eggs, I added some more seasoning and a tablespoon of mustard. I even added some rotisserie spices to the soy flour. That's three layers of herbs and spices. The Colonel couldn't ask for more. I simply dipped each boneless breast into the egg mixture, then dredged in the flour. Tonight I fried in coconut oil, but any would do. Remember that soy flour browns more quickly than wheat flour, so don't use the color as a measurement of doneness. I fried mine with the lid on the skillet in between batches.

Even though I planned this chicken as a Multiply Meal, enough for three entrees, plans change. My oldest son made a suprise visit home, and chicken is his favorite. Then, all my men liked it so much, they had seconds. Now I have just enough for one lunch meal. Oh well, I am glad that they like my cooking, even if I don't have anything to add to the freezer.

No comments: