companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Zucchini and Tomato Gratin


What is the garden producing at your house? This is what I envisioned by this time of year. Instead, I have a few cherry and grape tomatoes and lots of herbs. My squash just will not cooperate. Rather than pouting, I will use the fruits of someone else's labor. Aldi is my favorite place for inexpensive produce, but you may have a green thumb, or at least be able to find some deals at a local farmer's market. Maybe even a friendly neighbor will drop some zucchini by.

I have made zucchini gratin before, but I never combined both tomatoes and zucchini. It is pretty, and the tastes combine so well. It is a wonderful summer dish when you have produce, but can tolerate turning the oven on to 400! We have been having cooler days here, so I gambled and planned this for tonight. The weather is cooperating as storms are moving nearby. I am serving this vegetable feast with some simple steam grilled Italian sausages.

Zucchini and Tomato Gratin

1 large zucchini squash
1-2 small tomatoes
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
about 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Slice the vegetables into thin rounds. Line them, overlapping, in a casserole dish, alternating rows of zucchini and tomato. Top with melted butter and seasonings. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top to cover vegetables. Bake at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes until the top is crispy and golden.


Once it was served on plates, I added a bit more cheese for my boy who we tease is part mouse. If you are too, you may appreciate another sprinkle. I, however, adore the taste of the vegetables bursting through. So good.

1 comment:

NeeCee said...

My squash harvest was pitiful. Out of three squash plants, I only got a handful of squash. Stupid squash!!