companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Billy Bob's Rub for Chicken


New Year's Resolutions. I am trying here. I am committing to dropping some pounds this new year. Mine is one of those older female bodies which cannot simply eat low carb and lose weight. I think I spent way too much time yo yo dieting when I was younger. Lots of us find that we have to watch both carbs and calories to some degree as well. If we want to drop pounds, those dreaded words portion control and calorie counting may have to be considered. I won't tell you how many pieces of low carb peanut butter fudge I have eaten since the New Year's Eve party. Portion control. Right.

We began this w.o.e. for John's diabetes. He did lose weight too, but he didn't lose all the weight he could have. I lost very little, actually. So, for a couple of months, I have decided to incorporate more lower calorie meals into our menu. I am cutting back on the amount of cheese and cream I use too. Personally, I could never live long without any cheese, and I am certainly not putting us on a starvation diet ala Kimkims. I certainly don't believe that fat is the enemy, so if this doesn't get results, I may research increasing fats and lowering carbs even more. My grandma used to say there is more than one way to skin a cat. So, that being said, if these recipes work for you great, if not, there are plenty of experts out there with more advice than I can get my head around. I have never been trained as a nutritionist, so go with what works for you, be it high fat, low fat, primal, raw, whatever!!

The recipes in my newsletter for January featured several of the recipes I will be using in my efforts to slim down. I still will be using my Diner system, and this blog will still be the highlights of what we eat. Not all of our meals will be different, but I will not be making any more of that peanut butter fudge. It is time to regain my sensibility. Funny story--I was sitting at dinner last night with friends while our kids had a party. It was humorous how many of us plan on dieting for the new year--but still, none of us have started. Diets are so much more fun to talk about than to do!

Tonight, I made chicken tenders with a spicy rub. They are really flavorful and easy to prepare, especially when the spice blend is already prepped in the spice rack. Just blend it up, sprinkle it on the chicken, pat it in and let it set about 20 minutes. Then the tenders are ready to bake, grill or pan fry. All my guys really liked them. They are low in calories, highly flavored and easy to prepare. That is what I am looking for. We bought lots of chicken tenders on sale at the grocery store, so look for more recipes soon.


Billy Bob’s Rub

2 Tablespoons paprika
1 packet Splenda or Truvia
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon chili powder

Mix & store in air-tight container/ziplock bag. Rub into chicken or steak. Let sit for 20 minutes before grilling or baking.


I also made some really good sauteed onions and zucchini. To add a little extra zing, I added some dry Ranch dressing mix. The flavor of the lemon and dill was fantastic on the zucchini. I am glad I had this on hand. It had gotten pushed to the back of the cabinet, and I just found it again. That recipe is from the March newsletter.

Ranch Dressing Mix


1 Tablespoon soy flour
1/2 teaspoon granular Splenda
1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon lemon pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 teaspoon dill
1 teaspoon dehydrated onion
Pinch cayenne

Mix and store in an airtight container.


I just sprinkled a bit over our veggies, and they were delightful. We finally got the last of our Christmas decorations put away. Nice having my college boys home to help. They have one more week here at home, so I am spending as much time with them as I can. I think they will get out of helping take down the lights on the house, though. The Christmas blizzard blew them off the house and buried them under a snow drift, which is now an ice drift that doesn't want to go away. Temps here are not forecast to get above freezing all week, so those lights may be up for awhile. We will be inside with mugs of hot tea and I will probably have soup on the stove. BRR.

No comments: