companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Swedish Meatballs Light


Love, love, love my recipe in the e-book for Swedish meatballs. BUT, I promised to use less cream and cream cheese, so I lightened up the recipe for tonight. Not the same, but definitely good, and far fewer calories.

I changed the meatball recipe to include more spices traditional to the true dish. This is the best part of all. So unusual and very tasty. I served ours with some broccoli and purple cauliflower. I melted just a touch of Swiss cheese and Parmesan for a topping.(In keeping with my Northern Europe theme)

Swedish Meatballs Light

2 1/2 pounds ground chuck
2 Tablespoons Chia seeds
1 cup crushed pork rinds
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon allspice (I was out and subbed with pumpkin pie spice)

Crush pork rinds in a blender to equal 1 cup. Mix all ingredients well. Form into meatballs and bake until browned and cooked through. Serve alone or with a white sauce.


White Swedish Sauce

1 cup beef broth
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Use a blender to mix all ingredients. Heat and pour over meatballs.


The carby boys had some rice with theirs. While I was squishing meat, I made a meatloaf too. It will be nice to have that on another night.

No comments: