companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Monday, January 18, 2010

This Little Piggy


For Christmas, my sweet mom gave me this adorable pig casserole dish. Isn't it fun? The coolest thing ever, especially because it is super durable. This little piggy can even go on a burner. Everything in me tells me not to do that, but I have read the directions over and over and they promise it can take it. Tonight's supper went into the oven anyway. My mom ordered it on QVC, but I checked and they are out of stock right now. Too bad. They are made by Technique--maybe they are available elsewhere.



We had one of our favorites--Carnitas made from the pork roast I slow cooked yesterday. So flavorful, tender and easy, I have to serve them often. I just added some chunks of the roast into the pig, and added some chopped onion. Then I poured in a cup of diet soda. My e-book recipe calls for cola, but I didn't have any on hand. I subbed diet Dr. Pepper and it worked out fine. (Yes, I am trying to give that up, but I have enablers around here.) Just a cup made it just a bit sweet and kept it really moist. Before putting it in the oven, I topped the pork chunks with chipotle chili powder, regular chili powder, garlic powder and cumin. In the past, I used Knorr chipotle cubes, but Walmart hasn't had them lately. The cilantro cubes are still there, thank goodness.



To serve, I rolled the meat and some Monterey Jack cheese in low carb tortillas. Just a salad on the side. Oh my, the house smelled good when the hubby got home. What a wonderful welcome for a weary husband.

2 comments:

NeeCee said...

I just LOVE your little piggy! Too cute!

Jillian said...

that littl piggy casserole is adorable! The carnitas look delish, too. :)