companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Monday, May 23, 2011

Cheese Pourri


This is one of the recipes I have been anxious to try from my Goodwill store recipe book. I changed it up so much, it is really only inspired by the original now, but the inspiration was there...and who happens to have a cup of dried chives on hand? Any way, thanks to the St. Louis Herbal Society for the idea, and the name.

I played around with the porportions and took some liberties with the ingredient list. More garlic and onion and fewer poppy seeds. I ran out and those babies are costly. Since they are mostly for appearance anyway, and I will be busy enough picking the sesame seeds out of my teeth, I decided the missing poppy seeds would not kill the recipe. I will dry some of my multitude of chives and add them later. Full steam ahead.

Cheese Pourri
1 cup Parmesan and Romano cheese blend ( I used the kind in a can so this would last)
3 Tablespoons sesame seeds
1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
1 Tablespoon dried parsley
1 Tablespoon dried chopped onion
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons dried marjoram
1 teaspoon dried chopped garlic
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Stir everything together and store in an old spice jar with a shaker top.


Tonight, I tried it out on chicken tenders and roasted vegetables. The book suggests stirring it into butter for bread or vegetables, or sprinkling it on jicama or zucchini slices.

I still needed a little salt, since the mix is salt free. It gives a lovely appearance to the food, and adds some texture as well. I think it will be nice sprinkled on salad or cottage cheese. It made enough that I was able to send a jar home with my mom too. We will see what she decides to do with it!

No comments: