companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pumpkin Bread Mini Muffins Construction Zone Style

My grandma used to make the best pumpkin bread. She loaded it with walnuts and baked it up in one pound coffee cans. It was fun to slice a round loaf, and we kids adored it. While I have made several low carb versions that come close, today I was just throwing things together in the kitchen and came up with a mini muffin that tastes really similar. The secret ingredient is walnut oil. Yum.

I will include a recipe--sure wish I had been writing things down...so no promises on my recipe precision here. I am not currently in blog experimentation mode, as I am trying to just to survive: dodging contractors, dust and power tools. Sunday morning was quiet, although still a little messy. These were put together around cans of paint, and a little wall texturing dust. I don't think that contributed much to the flavor however, so I won't list it as an ingredient. These were baked in my Babycakes cupcake machine. They do have a little honey in them, since I was making them for my SCD/GAPS son. You can substitute any sweetener you prefer. The texture of the almond meal and coconut flour is nice, a little dense--very much like Grandma's recipe if I close my eyes. Not that pretty, but tasty none the less.

Pumpkin Bread Mini Muffins


1 cup almond meal, unblanched ( I ground my own in my Ninja)
3 Tablespoons coconut flour
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
***
1 cup pumpkin puree
2 eggs (plus one yolk, but this is probably optional. I happened to have an extra yolk)
3 Tablespoons honey, optional
sugar substitute equal to 1/4-1/3 cup sugar, depending on your preference.
3 Tablespoons walnut oil


Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl. In a smaller bowl, stir together the wet ingredients. Combine wet and dry. Spoon batter into muffins cups and bake 10-12 minutes in the Babycakes machine or 15-25 in a conventional oven at 350 degrees. Test to make sure center is done, as these are slightly dense.


I took the photo on my makeshift dining room table. It is a pallet on top of the boxes of Allure vinyl flooring that will be going into the living and dining room and kitchen soon. I hope, soon, that is. It seems like it has been one hassle after another. I can't believe the mortgage holder is holding one of our checks for 3-4 weeks to make sure we don't cash the check and skip town. Just how far would they expect us to get on under $4,000? Really? We owe less on the house than the first check that was issued, so I really don't think we are going to abandon our home. Even if we did, the bank would be getting a sweet deal. It is crazy! At this point we hope to have it all back together by Thanksgiving. That will be something to be thankful for.

Speaking of that, look for a huge announcement tomorrow. My truly exciting news is about to break.

5 comments:

Jennifer [To PIN/share a Post, Click the 3 dots or the Red SAVE Button] said...

Ooooh I wonder what on earth that could be! (wink) Another baby?

Joan said...

I made these muffins today and they turned out perfect. I also ordered the Babycakes machine---I hope mind gets as much use as yours has!

hydrate said...

One more wonderful benefit to low carb diet plans is the fact that it cuts out the huge amounts of starches and sugars that have crept into our diet programs and now make up almost all of what we consume.

Faustess said...

Easy & tasty! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Can you use any other kind of oil other than walnut oil?