companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Garlic Waffle Sticks

Who ever said waffles had to be for breakfast? I had all these possibilities swimming in my head and just not enough time to get them all into the newsletter. These delicious and crisp bites of garlic goodness are among them. We enjoyed them with an Italian themed dinner last night, which included my yummy Turkey Red Sauce. These were great on the side.

They taste quite a bit like focaccia bread, but they are crunchy. We like a little less rosemary than some, so I added in Italian herb blend instead. The waffle stick maker creates these wonderful little sticks which are very much like garlic bread sticks. Even better if I dare say. One problem I have with many low carb breads is the texture. I like a little crispness. I wanted this little machine, because I was hoping the extra surface area allowed by the waffle shape would be the answer to that. I was brilliant. Indeed, the sticks are crunchy outside and tender in. They are delish and so easy to put together and to bake. If you don't have a waffle stick maker, try a regular one and cut the waffle into sticks by hand, or spread the batter out in lines on the iron. That would actually be like waffle art.

Garlic Waffle Sticks

1 cup blanched almond flour
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp Italian herbs
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/3 cup cottage cheese
2 tsp olive oil

In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour, Parmesan cheese, herbs and spices and soda. In a small bowl, lightly beat eggs. Stir in the cottage cheese and olive oil. Add this to the dry mixture and stir to combine. Spoon the thick batter into a preheated and sprayed waffle maker. Bake until crispy brown and steaming has stopped.

Serves 8:   130 calories  3 net g carb

We had a few leftover, which will reheat nicely in the toaster oven. I am thinking they would make an excellent inside out wrap with some salami and an olive slice in each well of the waffle. A dunk in marinara or Italian dressing would be phenomenal. I need to run to the grocery for the salami. I will try to get a photo when I put this all together, so watch for the update.

These are so going into my prep day rotation. Making a double or triple batch would be great for stocking the freezer with some quick to heat up breadsticks to go with dinners and lunches!

Get more great  low carb recipes at Low Carbing Among Friends.

 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Order my original e-book or the latest version for couples and singles, A Table for Two here.  

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a creative way to make bread sticks!!! I will have to try this. I was initially turned off by the title of your post because I don't associate waffles and garlic...it just sounds so wrong, but when you realize that it's just bread sticks in the shape of waffles simply because they are baked in a waffle iron...well, now I'm thinking bread sticks and I can associate that with garlic with no problem.

Retta said...

Ha ha ha, I had the same initial reaction as Minichick... garlic and waffles??!!

But I'm going to dig out the waffle grids for my Geo Foreman grill, and give it a go. I really like the crunchy idea. I made some LC garlic bread a couple of days ago, so I could make your recipe for pesto bread sticks.... eh, it was too "wet" and spongy. So this could be THE answer.

Oh, and the latest issue of your monthly newsletter... da bomb!! Honestly, of all the various newsletter type things I get, yours has the most content that I actually USE!!

Thanks for all your hard work that I know goes into each issue (I've done newsletters... lots o' work!).

Lisa Marshall said...

Mmm. Pesto on top too. Yes!

Anonymous said...

OMG I am so glad someone reccommended this site to me. I am going low carb this year. thank u thank u

Anonymous said...

I made these the other night with dinner. My family (their heads) just couldn't get past the waffle shape. :) Oh well, it was fun to try it.

alfred said...

For a professional waffle maker, it is best to stick to something that is made of cast iron. Though these can be heavy and large, they are known to produce the best result.

Waffle on a stick