companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Notso Nuttzo Butter



In the July Diner News, in celebration of all things blender and food processor worthy, I have a recipe similar to the Nuttzo Butter I have wanted to try. The jar was a bit too pricey for my itty bitty budget, so I opted to try making my own. I love the fact that the founder of Nuttzo added extra nutrients into her nut blends by incorporating flax and chia seeds. Always trying to use those more. I found several copycat recipes floating around the web. My favorite was from the Gluten Free Muse. I changed her recipe up just a bit. I was interested that she also added some psyllium.  Very nice.

Since then, I have changed my recipe again. To make another batch, I wanted to get more like the 7 Nut and Seed Butter version of Nuttzo. This one also does not use peanuts, but some do. See their line up of butters here. Sprouts has a great mixed nut option in the bulk nuts section. That is the best way to get the variety of nuts into the butter without going broke. My blend had almonds, pecans, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts and cashews. To get extra creaminess, I added in some extra cashews. This blend got creamy even in my Ninja Master Prep blender with no extra oils. No 10 minute blending time either. Out of pumpkin seeds, I added sunflower seed kernals this time. Because I was experimenting, I made a small batch. You can easily double if you are going to the trouble. Sunflower seeds really cut the costs too.

This home made version is a lot cheaper than the commercial variety. The jars I saw ran about $18 for 16 ounces. Granted, the Nuttzo brand is certified organic, and I opted for some organic and some not. The choice is yours, just know that you can do this yourself! You can mix it up and go all raw, some raw some roasted, all roasted...some soaked and dried...whichever nuts you prefer. The nuts I used were mostly roasted, but the sunflower seeds were raw. None were salted this time, so I added some salt to the recipe. I suggest you do that after blending so you can adjust the flavor to taste.


Notso Nuttzo Multi Nut and Seed Butter

1/2 cup roasted cashews, unsalted
1 cup mixed roasted nuts, unsalted
1/4 cup sunflower seed kernals, raw
1 1/2 tbsp golden flax seed
1 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp psyllium husk
1/2 tsp salt

Place all ingredients except salt in a food processor. Blend, scraping sides as necessary, until nut butter forms. This may take up to 10 minutes. If mixture remains crumbly, you may add a tsp of neutral flavored oil. This may be avoided by longer processing times.

This nut butter is different from peanut butter and almond butter. The seeds retain a little crunch. Being a devotee of the crunchy style butters--never smooth for me--I think those tiny bites of crunch are terrific. You not so much? Perhaps you should grind the chia seed and flax seed first.

The carb count on the commercial variety lists 8 carbs and 3 grams of fiber for 2 tablespoons. Since I didn't measure out each type of nut, I can't do a specific carb count on this butter. Like all nuts, use in moderation. It is so easy to overdo nuts! But we do feel better knowing this has some extra healthful ingredients in there. Now what to do with it? Basically anything you would do with almond butter or peanut butter. I may try a protein ball later this week and I am thinking about some coconut oil candies too. I'll try to post what I come up with--if we don't eat it all up on celery. If you want the original recipe I featured using only cashews, almonds, and walnuts plus the seeds, order the Diner News here.

Update: I went ahead and figured the nutrition stats for 16 servings here. In that case this butter has
100 calories      2 g net carbs       2 g fiber   8 g fat       3 g protein

Order our books at: 
http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

Love the recipes I share on this blog? My ebook helps you plan and prep to stay healthy 24/7.   http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com
You might also like:

4 comments:

Beth Zimmerman said...

Hi Lisa,
I found your blog through a friend's link on Pinterest. I'm in Tulsa too. Just (as in this week) started a new blog to chronicle my low carb journey. Starting at nearly 400 pounds so I have a long way to go. I did it before (435 down to 245) about 10 years ago. Believe I can do it again but it's going to be harder this time. I'm older and have limited mobility due to arthritis.

Lisa Marshall said...

Hi Beth, please share your blog link with us.

sirkerry said...

Beth's website URL is: http://www.lowcarbsbigdreamshighhopes.com/

Blogger said...

3 Studies REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

This means that you literally burn fat by eating Coconut Fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 researches from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!