companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Mexican Cornbread...Sans Corn, of course

Mexican Cornbread was a staple in my mom's kitchen. It was one of my sister's favorites. Similar to a tamale pie, but not pasty. The cornbread was fluffy on top. Wow. So is this. I can't believe I never tried this as a low carb casserole. I've missed so much!

This recipe does not have several of the things my mom's version has. No creamed corn. Not necessary. No salsa, but diced tomatoes instead to keep it a little drier. No packaged taco seasoning filled with MSG. No cornbread mix either.  It does have spiced ground beef, tomatoes and pepper, and cheese! Any recipe with cheese is a winner in my book.

The "cornbread" is a cheesy quickbread made with coarsely ground almond meal and golden flax. It works!!! I was inspired by my cheese bread topped chili in a jar from the February newsletter. This recipe is a little different, and oh so delicious.

Mexican Cornbread sans Corn...and Carbs

Base:
1 1/2 lb ground beef
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp minced dried onions
1 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 tsp coconut oil
1 green bell pepper
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese

Cornbread topping:
1/2 cup coarsely ground almond meal
1/2 cup golden flax meal
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 tbsp olive oil

Brown ground beef, breaking it into small crumbles. Drain fat and place in a medium bowl. Stir in chili powder, cumin, onions, garlic salt and garlic powder. Drain the liquid from the canned tomatoes and stir them into the beef. Place the beef into an 8 inch square baking dish.

Slice the bell pepper into bite sized chunks. Saute in coconut oil 5-7 minutes until soft. Layer the peppers over the beef in the dish. Top with 1/2 cup cheese.

To prepare the bread, combine almond meal, flax meal, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Add the eggs, cheese and olive oil. Stir until no large lumps remain. Spread the batter over the meat and topping in the casserole dish. Smooth the top of the batter with a spatula or large spoon until it covers the meat completely and touches the sides. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until the top is golden and the center is set. Let rest 5-10 minutes before serving. Serves 6.

537 calories    4 g net carbs   33 g  fat   43 g  protein


This is perfect with a small guacamole salad on the side. Some of the juices from the meat layer bubbled up along the edges and saturated the bread topping, but it was not soggy at all, just a little darker. I baked mine just a little too long. I seem to be expert at not hearing my oven timer go off. What makes me able to focus among the mass chaos at school also means I don't notice things like a few oven beeps. That's what I get for working on the crockpot recipe while this was in the oven. Multi-tasking is a prep day necessity, but I still manage to mess it up once in a while. As anyone who knows me can tell you, I prefer to have baked goods a bit over done rather than under baked. You might want to check yours at 35 minutes just in case.

This would be an excellent dish for a potluck dinner or to take to a sick friend. It is going to store well, reheat well and travel is no mess. Bet your carby eaters would like it. If not, make some extra of the meat and let them make their own soft tacos.




Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

Order our books at: 

http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Love the recipes I share on this blog? My ebook helps you plan and prep to stay healthy 24/7.   http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

11 comments:

Alice said...

This looks and sounds incredible, Lisa. I was almost on my way to putting together some ingredients to try and create a LC cornbread but I'm just going to use your recipe instead!

I've got a pound of grassfed ground beef thawed as well and was going to create something with it, so your new recipe found me just in time!!

Thank you so very much!

Alice B.

Unknown said...

Wow, that looks so good! I miss cornbread too, and if your version tastes even half as good as it looks, you'll make me very happy!!

Thanks for the wonderful recipe! :)

Joan said...

Just WOW! I am on P2 right now, should not even be reading this recipe... I know I will make this as soon as I can have it!!!

Thanks, Lisa!

Anonymous said...

Can you use anything in place of the flax meal?

MemoryKeeper said...

This now moves to my top 10! It was fabulous and the family LOVED it! Thank you for this awesome recipe!

Zoeilicous said...

Thanks Lisa for the recipe, we love it and I brought leftover to work and my friends loved it too!

CourtnieMarie said...

This was so delicious and easy! I actually swapped ground turkey for the beef and used a pure cornmeal recipe for the topping since that's what I had. Perfect!

Clotho said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. It is people like you which make low carb living so much easier.

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious. And I see the net carbs but not the actual total carbs. Why aren't they posted?

Unknown said...

Looks delicious, what is the serving size?

Blogger said...

3 Studies PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

This means that you actually burn fat by eating coconut fats (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from major medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!